Scrivens Opticians has teamed up with the stars of the Despicable Me 2 film, the mischievous Minions – famous for their goggle specs – to encourage parents to take their children for regular eye tests.
To celebrate the release of the hilarious animated adventure on DVD and Blu-ray (25th November), youngsters who take the Minion approved eye test at their local Scrivens branch will receive a special certificate and, if they need glasses, can choose from a range officially approved by the goggle-wearing characters.
The new campaign has been launched after figures from the Health & Social Care Information Centre* showed eye examination rates among under 15s had fallen to a 10 year low. If unchecked, poor eyesight can affect children’s education as well as their overall development, so the Minions have been enlisted to help raise awareness of the importance of regular check-ups.
Scrivens Opticians optometrist Paul Sidhu said: “We’re very excited to be working with the mischievous little Minions from Despicable Me 2, who are favourites with all the family. We want to create an adventure in store which children will remember and take away with them. Ultimately, we’re encouraging kids and parents alike to have an enjoyable experience that will inspire them to return and have regular eye checks, to help keep their eyes healthy for life.”
The initiative runs until Christmas and to encourage the whole family to look after their eyesight, any parent who brings their child for a Minion approved test will receive 50% off their own standard eye test.
By booking a Minion approved eye test customers can enter a prize draw to win a UK family adventure break** where the kids will train to be secret agents like Gru and Lucy in Despicable Me 2, or a copy of the film on 3D Blu-ray™.
Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care was established 75 years ago and remains a family run business today with 146 high street branches nationwide. For more information, visitwww.scrivensopticians.com
Issued on behalf of Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care by
For further information please contact:
Lorna Bishop / email@example.com / 07851 314294
Jo Mathers / firstname.lastname@example.org / 07799 662389
Photo Opportunity: If you would like to arrange a photograph at the branch of a child having his / her eyes checked and receiving a Minion authorised certificate then please contact Lorna or Jo
*Source: Health & Social Care Information Centre
• Only 19% of children under 15 years old have NHS eye examinations, a drop from 23.6% since 2002/3
• Students 16-18, fell from 4.9% to 4.4%
• However, the number of overall sight tests has risen from 9.7m to 12.3m
• 70% of youngsters have dental checks
** Prize package
The prize package is for a family of 4 and includes:
• 2 nights at a 4 star hotel in Cambridge in a family room (room only)
• 1 hour 20 spy school experience (children only), including:
o Train to become a secret agent, just like Gru!
o Hack enemy computers to thwart enemy attacks
o Sneak past laser triggers & through an enemy base
o Disarm fiendish weapons & escape the enemy base without being detected!
• Secret agent adventure day (children only), including:
o Surfing lesson at an indoor wave machine
o 20 minute high speed racing on a race car simulator
o 20 minute indoor rock climbing session, with expert instruction & safety equipment
• £200 towards food, drinks, tips, travel & spending money
Terms & Conditions
• Participants must be between the ages of 5 and 16 years old on date oftravel
• Participants must be 107cm tall for body boarding & 132cm tall for stand up riding.
• Participants must bring swimming costumes & towels in order to participate in surf lessons